Thursday, November 10, 2011

Curried Pumpkin Bisque



Welcome to Fall.  It seems like every food blog that I follow has been talking a lot about pumpkin lately.  I love all the sweet pumpkin dishes, and I also like pumpkin in savory dishes.  When Souperman's was still open in Kansas City they had the best pumpkin bisque soup.  I have missed it ever since they closed.  This week I made a humble attempt at making something similar.  Ironically I followed a recipe from copykat.com to try to copycat Souperman.  It just happened to be the first recipe that popped up on google.

Curried Pumpkin Bisque

I made it for my lovely husband, Carl.  I don't think either one of us was really that impressed with the dish.  I thought it was too much broth.  Carl loves broth so I think he just wasn't fond of the flavor.  I'm not sure that he likes pumpkin in savory dishes, because I once made him a deconstructed pumpkin lasagna with sage butter sauce that he did not care for either.  Since I had a ton of pumpkin bisque leftover I decided to get another can of pumpkin and try to work some magic on this soup.  I added another whole 15 oz. can of pumpkin, more curry powder, salt, and pepper.  For the final touch (a must!) I grated some fresh nutmeg over the soup for added flavor.  With all the added touches I think it actually tasted pretty good.  I'm not sure what the calorie count was, but I'm sure it was a low-cal, super fiber-licious dish.

If you have a pumpkin soup recipe that you absolutely love, then please let me know.  I would love to have you guest post on my blog, or just post a link in the comments.

By the way, I really enjoyed my workouts the past two days.  Yesterday I did Amy Dixon's Cardio Kickboxing video.  It was fun to do something different for a change.  I get so bored with just using the cardio equipment.  The video was only 20 minutes so I did my weight training after that, including all the major muscle groups except shoulders.

Today I did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.  She is pretty tough on shoulders so it seemed like a good pick to balance out what I did yesterday.  Then for the first time I tried her newest DVD, Killer Buns & Thighs.  It was tough.  However, I was motivated to power through, because she looks amazing.  I'm not sure how it is possible, but she looks even more ripped than ever.  I have read Master Your Metabolism, and it was jam packed with research and valuable information.  After seeing the difference in her physique over the past 4 years I'm dying to read Unlimited: How to Build an Exceptional Life to see what other pearls of wisdom she has to offer.  Perhaps she should have titled the book, "How to Build an Exceptional Body."

As some of you may know I have been having troubles with my knee since September.  I have been laying off lunges and squats for quite a while.  I have to admit I was scared of what a video packed with lunges and squats would do to me, but so far so good.  Perhaps the key is that I didn't add dumbbells.  I hope I didn't speak too soon.  I would be wiser to wait and see how I feel tomorrow.

One final thought in honor of Veteran's Day, a client told me that a war veteran who lost his sight was at the last 5K he attended.  The veteran was there to participate in the race!  Talk about inspiring.  To put this into perspective try to stand on one leg with your eyes closed.  Our sight has a huge impact on our sense of balance.  If that man could run a 5K, then I can work past my knee.  It is time for me to shut up already or go to the doctor (or both).

I hope you are all staying motivated.  Please "brog" about your workouts and favorite DVDs in the comments.  (Brog is a term I am coining that means to brag on a blog.)  I would love to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment