Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Smarter Choices at Longhorn Steakhouse

There are several options for eating low-calorie at Longhorn.  You may start with one of the side salads and order soup as your main course.  You might opt for one of their lower-calorie entrée salads.  If you choose a protein-packed entrée, then stick with one of the leaner entrees that I have suggested.  Keep in mind that it comes with a salad and a side.  The lowest calorie salad is the mixed green side salad (110 calories) with fat-free ranch dressing (45 calories).  Skip the starchy sides and order green vegetables.  If you are craving the loaded baked potato (430 calories) or the sweet potato (370), then order it as your entrée.  Be strong and skip the bread loaf (510 calories) so that you don’t break the calorie bank.  Try not to go over 650 calories with your order combination.  There is nothing wrong with getting a box, because you have leftovers.  If you enjoy your meal, then you can enjoy it twice!


Starters
Chilled Shrimp Cocktail with Cocktail Sauce 190
French Onion Soup (bowl) 320
Ranch House Chili (bowl) 210
Shrimp & Lobster Chowder (bowl) 250
Loaded Baked Potato Soup (bowl, order as a meal.) 470

Dinner Entrees - Salads
Grilled Salmon Salad – Mixed Green with Fat-Free Ranch 605

Dinner Entrees – Legendary Steaks
Flo’s Fillet 7 oz. 450
Fire-Grilled Bone-in Sirloin 470
Flat Iron Steak 440
Flo’s Fillet & Lobster Tail (Calorie Splurge!) 500

Dinner Entrees – Seafood
Grilled Trout Topped with Shrimp & Lobster 490
Redrock Grilled Shrimp 130

Dinner Entrees - Flavorful Under 500
Flo’s Fillet 7 oz. 420
Renegade Sirloin 6 oz. 400
Sierra Chicken lighter portion 340
Grilled Fresh Rainbow Trout 380
Salmon 7 oz. 410

Ribs, Chops & More
Cowboy Pork Chops 400

Side Dishes
Fresh Seasonal Vegetables 90
Fresh Green Beans 36
Mixed Green Side Salad 110
Caesar Side Salad with Caesar Dressing 350
Fresh Steamed Asparagus 80
Steakhouse BLT Salad with Dressing 320
Strawberry Pecan Salad with Dressing 380

9 comments:

  1. Is it just me or does Longhorn seem overpriced? The food is okay but it seems like whenever we have gone, we wind up spending quite a bit for a family of 4. There are a lot of other places I'd rather go for spending that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe a little. I do enjoy the Renegade Sirloin from time to time.

      Delete
    2. The rainbow trout is awesome, very tender and great flavor. I'm doing atkins so it works for me.

      Delete
  2. I just wanted to say that I'm a fellow Kansas City-an, and I LOVE your blog!! So helpful:)
    http://jamielightblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree....helped a lot my friend and I thought we were going to need to ask our boyfriends to take us somewhere else

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planning a trip to Longhorn and wanted to order the Chicken and Strawberry salad with raspberry vinaigrette. On Longhorn's site, it says it contains 530 calories and 19 grams of fat.

    http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/nutrition/

    Then on their nutrition facts PDF, the same entree salad suddenly contains 950 calories and 60 grams of fat (!!!)

    http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/pdf/2010LongHornSteakHouseNutrition.pdf

    Your estimate is 420 calories.

    Any idea what I should follow? LOL!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally got a chance to take a closer look at this. I noticed that there are several discrepancies between the website nutrition and the pdf file. It's very confusing. Some items are listed higher on the website than the pdf and vise versa. It seems like they need to do a better job editing. The side strawberry pecan salad with dressing is also listed as more calories on the current pdf coming in at 380 calories. The website says 190. It's possible they added more pecans or more dressing, which would definitely change the calories. When in doubt go with the higher number.

      Delete
    2. At a closer look at my old pdf versus the new one they have changed their raspberry vinaigrette. It used to be 60 calories, and now it's 210. I'm assuming that they changed it based on taste. That still doesn't account for a huge jump from 530 to 950 calories though. Perhaps it depends on whether it's a lunch or dinner portion.

      Delete
  5. Oh, my! I don't know what they changed. Maybe they got told to be honest! That majorly sucks. I appreciate you telling me. I think follow your gut to a different restaurant.

    ReplyDelete