Thursday, October 6, 2011

Santa Fe Chicken Salad





230-Calorie Breakfast on the Run
I am making a really solid try to get more fruits and vegetables in my diet.  Yesterday I think I did a pretty good job.  I started the day early so all I had time for in the morning was my Starbuck's Espresso & Cream (the light version this time! 70 calories) and a chocolate protein shake (160 calories).  I planned out my lunch the night before using Lose It! on my Iphone.  Unfortunately the app doesn't let you plan ahead a day in advance so I just log everything a day behind.  Part of the Made to Crave study that I am doing is making sure to plan ahead.  Anytime I have been really successful at weight loss this was crucial.  Planning ahead keeps me from just eating how I feel, and I continue to look forward to the next planned meal.  It makes me feel empowered instead of deprived just like the book suggests.


400-Calorie Veggielicious Lunch
I had bought Santa Fe Chicken Salad prepared from the deli so I do not have an exact calorie count for it.  However, I only ate a small portion of about 2 ounces (estimated 174 calories) with romaine lettuce on a whole wheat roll (96 calories).  It was delicious, and I know I could make a lower calorie version at home.  I ate the sandwich after my veggies which included 1/2 cup of carrot chips (25 calories) with 2 Tbsp. cucumber hummus (50 calories), and a cup of broccoli/cauliflower salad (27 calories) tossed with 1 Tbsp. of lite Italian dressing (28 calories).  With all that fiber I was stuffed!

Check out this low-cal version I just posted on  www.sparkpeople.com.  I haven't tested it out yet so be sure to add your reviews.  We can tweak it together if it needs something.

Santa Fe Chicken Salad Sandwiches


Ingredients


    12 oz. of Grilled Chicken Breasts
    1/4 cup canned Black Beans, drained and rinsed
    1/4 cup yellow sweet corn, thawed
    1/4 cup low fat sour cream
    1/2 cup of prepared Pico de Gallo (or make your own fresh tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice)
    4 Romaine lettuce leaves
    4 Whole Wheat Slider-size Rolls

Directions

Chop the chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Mix with the beans, corn, sour cream, and pico de gallo. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with romaine lettuce on whole wheat rolls. Add some veggies on the side for a well balanced lunch.

Serving Size: 4 servings,
  • Calories: 224.9
  • Total Fat: 4.9 g
  • Cholesterol: 55.2 mg
  • Sodium: 234.6 mg
  • Total Carbs: 20.8 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 2.9 g
  • Protein: 24.3 g
After lunch it was time to get my exercise in between clients so I took a walk in Kansas City's beautiful Loose Park.   It was gorgeous, and I think I stopped too many time to take pics to really get my heart rate up.  I stopped to check out the fountains, the ducks, and the roses. 


I enjoyed the 77 degree weather.  It was glorious.  I took lots of lovely pics of the rose garden, but I think this one was my favorite.  I love roses with hot pink just on the tip of the petals.
186-Calorie Decadence
After the walk it was back to work and then later it was time for my mid-afternoon snack.  Since I had skipped the delicious breakfast I had planned the night before I decided to have the breakfast--more like dessert--as a snack.  I warmed 1/2 cup of frozen organic raspberries (35 calories) and 1/4 cup of frozen wild blueberries (15 calories) on the stove with a 1/2 Tbsp. of Light Agave Nectar (30 calories, you can sub in honey).  Since I had basically created a compote I decided I needed something to soak up all those lovely juices.  Next I toasted a frozen homestyle waffle (95 calories) and topped it with the berries and 2 Tbsp. of Cool Whip Free (15 calories).  It was so deliciously decadent!!!!



I paired that with my doubled up Bigelow Vanilla Chai and Stash Green Chai Tea (zero calories) for a perfect afternoon treat.


446-Calorie Dinner
I squeezed in a little more cardio on the elliptical, and then I was off to meet with another client.  In the evening I stuck with my plan to have fish tacos.  I baked a frozen breaded tilapia fillet (200 calories) and sliced it cross-wise to serve with pico de gallo (10 calories) and romaine lettuce on two soft corn tortillas (105 calories).  For a high fiber side I heated up Kuner's Jalapeno Black Beans (1/2 cup, 130 calories).  Delicious!!!  I came in under my Lose It! budget between diet and exercise, and with meals like this I did not feel deprived.  All it took was about 10 minutes of planning and stocking up on healthy items at the grocery store.  Now I'm off to get my exercise for today!



No comments:

Post a Comment